Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 22, 2011

The Squash and Legume Neighborhood

I have two beds set aside for squash and legumes. I will start the season with peas and then as the peas are finishing up, I will have my beans planted and ready to roll. I also plant beans on my two trellises that are at the edges of some of my raised beds. Vertical is a great way to go for beans.

In the squash and legume neighborhoods, I will be using bamboo teepees for the pole beans and the area around the teepees will be interplanted with bush bean varieties and yellow squash and zucchini. I also interplant small size sunflowers and I plant nasturtiums in and around the squash.

If more space is needed for beans, I will use the extra space I have in planting areas 10 and 13. They are not part of a raised bed, but they seem to work fine for bush beans.

I will plant my beans about 3 different times during a growing season in order to take advantage of a continuous supply so I will have plenty for eating fresh and plenty for freezing.

I will plant peas again in the late summer for a fall harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment