Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 20, 2011

Decisions, Decisions!

Starting around the winter holiday season, I began getting seed catalogues from anyone and everyone. Some are tried and true, some I've never even heard of before now. All of them together make any gardener excited about the possibilities!

How do you decide what to grow? First, only grow things you like to eat or anything new you'd like to try. Next, I like to stick with as many heirloom seeds as possible. I like to save seeds from year to year and I want to know that the seed I have saved will hold true and not break down into a vegetable plant that is not quite what I had in mind.

In terms of seed catalogues, I order from John Scheeper's Kitchen Garden Seeds, Henry Fields, and Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Henry Fields is good for basics, and Baker Creek and Scheeper's are good for more unique varieties of seeds.

One of my favorite places to purchase seeds is from Bowman's Home and Garden in Westminster, Maryland. It's one of those wonderful places where you can go up to a seed counter where the seeds are stored in bins and glass canning jars. The seeds are weighed and packed in a small seed packet or small brown paper bag depending upon the quantity.  By far, seed purchased from Bowman's is always a better value. I also love the fact that I can purchase my peat pots in bulk and receive a quantity discount.

At this point, I think I have purchased just about everything I need in terms of seed. Now it's just a matter of keeping up with my seed starting so everything will be ready to set out when it is time.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Noelle--

    I was interested in your blog because I too am from Maryland and have just started by seeds and blog: http://jennys-seedsandweeds.blogspot.com/

    Did you purchase your plant stand or have it made?

    Did you have trouble with Stink Bugs last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    It's great to hear from you! I wish you luck with your garden and your blog! I purchased my plant rack from the following site; http://homeharvest.com/plantcartsdisplay.htm

    I added the aquarium hoods with grow lights and made them adjustable so I can adjust them as the plants grow. The initial investment is expensive, but I think it will pay for itself rather quickly. Last year I was able to start all of my plants from seed. It was great to have control over every aspect of the plants!

    In terms of stink bugs, they came, they stayed, and are still lingering! They have outstayed their welcome!!!

    Good luck with your seedlings! Don't forget to fertilize in about 4 to 5 weeks!

    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noelle again. My husband built a plant stand for me that I could keep in our sunroom which we call our music room because it contains a piano, organ, and assorted instruments that our family has used over the years. He made it out of oak to match the piano. We thought we had it designed to hold plain old shop lights, but alas, we cut it a little short. Fortunately the T5 lights, which are recommended for gardening, fit just fine. This will be the first year I use it--gives me a huge amount of space. I will be posting a picture of it on my blog.

    I will be checking out homeharvest.com. Thanks for the info.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great information. We're in central Utah and explanding our garden this year. Can't wait.

    Michelle
    http://rottenapplewormfarm.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,
    I have found that I seem to encroach on our backyard more and more each year. I'm up to 7 raised beds at the moment. Just remember to think about your crop rotations as you expand!
    Good Luck!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete