Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 14, 2011

Garden Neighborhoods

So, before I ever order one pack of seeds or go to my favorite local store, I plan where I am going to plant my 'neighborhoods'. This is where the book Great Garden Companions by Sally Jean Cunningham is MY constant companion! This is the book that introduced me to the benefits of beneficials, companion planting, and crop rotation.

My backyard is not very large and space is at a premium. My husband came up with a great design for building raised beds and now I have 'grown' to have 7 full size beds that are 4' x 8' and 2 half size beds that are 4'x4' square. My husband was also able to help me with space by building 2 trellis' that work like arbors straddling 2 beds each. This provides great vertical space for things like peas and beans.

Here is a sketch from my garden notebook of the layout and how I am going to plant my Neighborhoods this year.
Layout of Neighborhoods for this year's garden


No comments:

Post a Comment