Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 18, 2013

Planning the Layout for the 2013 Garden

Today, I was able to sit down and plan how I would rotate the beds in my garden. My garden is set up in "Neighborhoods" so to speak and within each neighborhood there are plants that benefit one another. Think back to stories of the Native Americans planting the "Three Sisters", corn, beans, and squash, and you have the right idea. This is also known as companion gardening. For the most comprehensive book I have found on this type of gardening, check out "Great Garden Companions; A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden" by Sally Jean Cunningham.

In order to keep track of my rotations and plantings each year, I keep a garden notebook with all of my notes and observations. At this point in my planning, I have the following planned; 3 Tomato Neighborhoods, 3 Bean/ Squash Neighborhoods, 2 Roots/Greens Neighborhoods, 2 Blueberry Neighborhoods, 1 Strawberry Neighborhood, 2 Cabbage Neighborhoods, 1 Asparagus Bed, 1 long fence line of red raspberries, a 3ft row of Blackberries, and 1 Herb bed. The far right corner of the garden is anchored with a corner perennial bed to help attract beneficial insects. Flowers and herbs are interplanted throughout the garden for that same purpose. Not only does this approach cut down on harmful insects, it makes for an attractive garden.






No comments:

Post a Comment