Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 1, 2013

Creating Garden Tags

I think I've found another way for my artistic side to become a functional part of my garden. I have experimented with all kinds of markers from wood and plastic, to aluminum and copper. The artist in me is not content unless my garden has wonderful form and beauty as well as function. So, today I decided to experiment with making ceramic markers.

I roll the clay across a stamp pattern I sometimes use in my jewelry designs, cut out an oval shape, and then use a small square cutter to cut a hole for hanging. Before the clay becomes too dry, I carefully create a smooth area across the middle of the disc that can be used for writing the names of the garden seeds/plants.

Once the clay discs are completely dry, I use pan underglazes to create a watercolor effect in green and then I use a dark glaze color to write the names. I'm not sure if these ceramic markers will be what I've been looking for, but I'm going to give them a try in this year's garden and see how they work. I'll keep you posted on my progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment