Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 3, 2013

Garden Plants are Starting to Emerge

 Today, when I checked my seedlings, I saw that some of them are actually starting to develop the second leaves. (The leaf shapes we are more familiar with when looking at plants.) When seedlings first emerge, they all look pretty similar. It's not until they begin to set the second leaf that they begin to look like something distinct.






There are some differences even in the first sets. Plants such as peppers, eggplant, and tomato, often have more long, narrow leaves.




Plants such as broccoli, cabbage, and herbs such as basil (pictured on the left) all begin with a leaf that is more round and short.

Most of the seeds were started in cell inserts and they will be transplanted into peat pots when they start to set the second leaf. This is a tedious process, but if done carefully, you can plant almost all of the seedlings.

I usually have enough plants for me and enough of each variety to share. I always plant more than I think I will need in case something happens along the way. Sometimes they make it all the way to the hardening off process and then I lose them. But usually, I have a pretty good success rate.

Based on how the seedlings are coming along, I will be able to begin transplanting in a few days, a week at the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment