Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Mar 6, 2013

Transplanting Seedlings according to John Jeavons

 I find that when I am preparing my plants for the garden, a lot of what I do comes from reading everything I can get my hands on, what I remember from working in a garden with various grown-ups when I was a child, and just hands-on experience. I find that sometimes when I share what I have learned I get puzzled looks or that 'yeah, right' look. So, when I find someone else saying the say thing that I believe to be true based on my experiences, it makes me happy.

Yesterday, I picked up the book How to Grow More Vegetables* (and fruits, nuts, berries, grains, and other crops) *than you ever thought possible on less land than you can imagine by John Jeavons. Barnes & Noble link to the book

The book is not filled with a lot of beautiful photos or quick how-to tricks, it's all about the basics of growing BIOINTENSIVE. Which, anyone who knows me or is familiar with my blog knows is basically how I garden.

So, this morning, as I was looking through the information on seeds, I was really happy to come across very useful information on transplanting seeds. A couple of years ago I began to start all of my plants from seed and I have found that my plants are healthier and I am much happier with the varieties that I can grow. I have also found that I am just happier with plants that I start from seed. As I was reading in this book, I found that transplanting is actually preferred over direct sowing due to improved root health. Based on what I have experienced, I totally agree.

There were a couple of simple drawings in the book that I would like to share with you in regards to transplanting seedlings. You should transplant your seedlings up to their first two true leaves. This is how I treat my seedlings and they are just healthier.

This book has a lot of valuable information for those of you who are really serious about utilizing your space in a self-sustaining manner. For those who work with companion planting, this book is awesome. I will be adding this book to my gift list for friends and family who garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment