Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Jan 5, 2013

A New Year - A New Garden




As I begin to prepare for the new year, I actually begin to feel a little excitement. A new year always means a fresh start with my garden. I can look at my notes, look at what we have in the freezer and pantry, and begin to plan what needs to be planted and the layout I want to use. (This is the stuff that makes me feel like a little kid!)

I went to the garden today to see what I could find. I was very pleased with my small harvest! I was able to bring in carrots, kale, and Swiss Chard. Not bad for January 5th!

I also found that some of my herbs still looked pretty good and the ground was only frozen in the upper 1 inch of soil. So, we'll see what happens. I brought in Italian parsley, curled leaf parsley, some shallots, and some celery. I'll be curious to see what they do inside.

Yesterday, I was very excited to see that my seed orders arrived! Now, I'm in the process of getting everything set up so I can begin to get seeds started.

I have had very good luck with the seeds I order from Henry Field's and I find that their quantities of seeds in a pack and prices are very reasonable.

Some things I can't find at Henry Field's I get from companies such as Baker Creek. I usually get seeds such as Fish Pepper and Cherokee Trail of Tears beans from Baker Creek.
I will begin planting seeds this week in order to have cole crop plants large and healthy in time for early spring planting. Even though I'm just in the planning stages and haven't done any planting yet, I am excited to see the 2013 Garden begin to take shape! I hope to share my garden as it unfolds in my posts here. Thank you for sharing in the fun of gardening!
Noelle



No comments:

Post a Comment