Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Mar 2, 2015

Right There With Me

I was shocked to see the date of my last post until I began to think about the various things happening in my life since that day. Okay, in the list of priorities, this blog did not make the cut. I can live with that. I do apologize for anyone who had started to wonder if by chance I had fallen off the face of the planet! All is good, no worries.

I found myself thinking about this blog again because of a need to share my gardening experiences with someone. One of my best friends, and someone I considered to be my Mom, was also my gardening buddy, Carol. As of June 6, 2014, unexpectedly, Carol is no longer here. I have found that beyond the obvious reasons that I feel a loss without her in my life, I find that I miss our garden chats. There was a point when I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go back to the garden at all. Last summer, each time I stepped into the garden, I found I was frustrated, angry, and unmotivated.

Looking out the window now, under all of the snow we have on the ground, I know there is a garden that has suffered my neglect. I find that as I see little hints of life such as bulbs starting to send up their stems, I can't help but to start to feel an energy and fullness that I have always felt with nature and gardening. I think about Carol and I think about how we could get lost for hours anywhere there were plants! When something we planted began to grow, we would get absolutely giddy with excitement. Those conversations and the sharing of articles and books over an afternoon cup of coffee were special and will be sorely missed.

I've come to the conclusion that Carol would actually be quite upset with me if she knew I was dragging my feet and not taking time to garden. I know it's going to be difficult at times, but as I watch my seeds begin to germinate and take form as seedlings, I begin to find myself thinking about the garden again. Each time I work in the garden I know Carol will be right there with me, and there are some things I will have to plant, just for her.

So, starting today, I will post my experiences, thoughts, and musings about the garden here, as a way of sharing all that the garden has to offer.




No comments:

Post a Comment