Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Feb 12, 2012

Seed Starting Has Begun!

Today is the day I finally started my garden for 2012. I pulled out the seed packets, seed starting mix, my garden notebook, and all of the odds and ends that tend to make seed starting a little easier.

I am most concerned about getting my seeds started for plants that perform better if they have some size to them when set out into the garden. So, I focused first on my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. In looking at my seeds, I realized there are a few that I never got around to ordering that I need to get within the next week or so.

I have Early Italian Purple Garlic on order that will ship late March. By that time, I may be able to start some of my cole crops outside or in the cold frame. Who knows with how the weather has been this year!

In terms of starting seeds, it is well worth the investment! Once you have your basic set-up, trays with light set-up, it is really not too expensive. I find that I like being able to have more control over the varieties of vegetables that I plant in my garden. Starting my own seeds allows me to have that control. Using seeds also allows you to plant more heirloom plants which is more economical. One, cheaper than buying plants and two, you can save seeds from year to year.
My seed starting for today consisted of the following;
  • Golden California Wonder Pepper
  • Fish Pepper
  • Pole, Black Krim Tomato
  • Black Krim Tomato
  • San Marzano Tomato
  • Cherokee Purple Tomato
  • Long Purple Eggplant
  • Rosa Bianca Eggplant
  • Black Beauty Eggplant
  • Genovese Basil
  • Cilantro
  • Italian Red of Florence Bunching Scallion
  • Paris Island Romaine
  • Bright Lights Swiss Chard
  • Extra Dwarf Pak Choy
  • Brunswick Cabbage
  • Tango Green Celery
  • Large Bottle Mix Gourd
I have a new cat this year, Pica,  he's only 6 months old and boy has he been curious about what I am doing with the seed trays! He has discovered my plant stand is a great place to hang out. Now the fun begins! Keeping the kitty out of the seed trays!

No comments:

Post a Comment