Strawberries from the Garden

Strawberries from the Garden

Apr 25, 2011

A Welcome New Addition To My Garden

     It's the little things that make me happy and excited! Right now, I'm so excited that my rain barrel is set-up, ready for use, and already full of rain water! Yeah! My mother-in-law and father-in-law gave me a barrel they got from a winery in upstate New York. I purchased a downspout diverter from Gardener's and my husband and I found the spigots and handles we wanted at Home Depot.
     Thanks to April Showers, my barrel is full and ready for use. I think I will be using it to water my new transplants and seedlings. On Sunday, I put together a strawberry pot for my mother-in-law and father-in-law with strawberry plants from my garden. I watered the transplants with water from the rain barrel. With fresh rain water they should be off to a great start!
     I think I'm going to plant some hostas around the base of the blocks that the barrel is setting on. I think it will look better. Yes, it's just a rain barrel. But it is a welcome new addition to my garden and I think it will be well loved!

5 comments:

  1. Nice rain barrel! I'm sure your plants will do well from the rain water. I need to get one(or two) of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am very happy with it at this point. I am very surprised at just how quickly it filled from a couple of April Showers. You're right! I may need two eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hostas seem like just the ticket for the base of your barrel. I bet they'll look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I made add some coral bells in front of the hostas. I think it will fill in pretty quick and the barrel will look like it's always been there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coral bells would be _perfect_ :)

    ReplyDelete